- A conference on local environmental action planning in Serbia was organised in the framework of a programme supported by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
- The Sida-funded programme Supporting Environmental Civil Society Organisations in South Eastern Europe was launched, aimed at promoting civil society to work towards more sustainable development and improved living conditions.
- The REC implemented programmes to develop policy, build capacity and strengthen institutions in the region, including Kyoto in the Home, ChangeLAB: Learning for Sustainable Living, and the Green Pack.
- Around USD 635,000 were distributed to 62 NGOs through the Danube Regional Project to help reduce toxic and nutrient pollution.
- Another USD 1.8 million supported the capacity building of authorities and NGOs on access to information and public participation in environmental and water-related decision making and the implementation of the Water Framework Directive.